Friday, January 28, 2011

Loads of Clothes--Second Lead Project Reflection!!!

Hello!

This week I had an ongoing clothing drive to benefit people who are less fortunate than we are.  I hung up signs, spread the word, and posted reminders of Facebook to inform people about the clothing drive.  I guess all of my methods of advertising worked, because each day, when I went to the office to check on the drive there were more and more clothes in the box as the week went on!  It was very exiting to see the box overflowing at the end of the week with a huge amount of clothes just ready to be donated.  I was so happy that people donated to such a wonderful cause!

In the future, I might hold the drive for a longer time period.  Since it was close to the end of the semester, I only held it through this week, but in the future, I might get more donations if I hold the drive for a longer period.  Also, if I annonced it in person more, more people may have donated.  Maybe if I put some information about it in the NOTAM or I went around to the adviserites, then even more people may have donated.  But, for the week I held the drive, I am very happy with its outcome.

What went well was that even though the drive lasted only four days, I collected many bags full of clothes to help the needy.  I learned yet again, that advertising is key. Just putting a box in the office and letting it sit there is not going to cut it.  You need to tell people and spread the word.  The key to a successful anything is to let people know about it.  What I may improve upon in the future, is making the drive longer.  I got a lot of donations in the week I held it, but I can't help thinking that I would have gotten more if it were longer.

I still need to find a place to donate too.  I ended the drive just yesterday and need to find a place for the clothes to go.  When I get back to school, I might sort through the clothes and see where the best place to take it would be.  Maybe if there are mostly women's clothes, I may ask a women's shelter or Hospitlality House if they want them.  I guess I will have to do some research to see where the best place to donate them is.


The pros of this clothing drive are:

-People who are in need can receive clothes in this tough ecinomic period

-Students can get rid of their unused clothes that were otherwise going to waste

-It encourages students to think about the needy, and what they can do to help them

-I got a lot of clothes to give to the less fortunate


There are few cons to the clothing drive.  One worry before the drive started was that there were not going to be enough donations, but now that the sale is over, that is not a worry anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment