Monday, January 3, 2011

Keeping Warm--Proposal For Lead Project#2

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

I want to hold a week long clothing drive and donate the clothes to Hospitality House, since now, more than ever, they are in such a great need.  I want to encourage the students of AHS to give to such a wonderful cause.  I am also going to entice them by offering hot chocolate to whoever donates.  It will be an extra motivation to donate to the drive.  In these hard times it is crucial that people remember that there are people less fortunate than us and that we need to help them in any way we can.

NEED

Hospitality House is a women-only shelter that provides a safe, warm enviornment to women for up to three months.  It is a new beginning for them to start the rest of their lives, far away from the cold and dirty streets.  It provides them with shelter, food and hope that they will improve their life.  Hospitality house gets women back on their feet and helps them gain the abitlity to function in stable and affordable housing once they leave the house.  Relying on donations from the public for a lot of their supplies, Hospitality House is constantly in desperate need of womens clothes.  With our help, the shelter could aquire some good winter clothes, leaving them with one less thing to worry about for a while.

OBJECTIVE

I plan on holding a week long clothing drive to benefit the women who currently reside at the Hospitality House which is located in Burien.  Hospitality House is a women only shelter that desperatly and constantly needs clothing donations.  Holding the drive will greatly help the women with warmth in these freezing winter months.  I want to hold the drive in the next few weeks, giving time for advertising and preparing for the drive. Also, I may want to get in contact with someone at Hospitality House asking them what they need the most.  I really want this project to be successful.  That means getting as many clothes as possible.  I visualize collecting as many winter womens clothes as possible.  I am going to try to spread the word far and wide so people will know to donate.  The women of Hospitality House are in great need of clothes and their last worry should be where they are going to get their clothes from.  My main goals are to get students to donate what they can.  If they have any womens clothing that is not being used anymore they should donate it.  Also, I want to entice them to donate by offering some sort of treat.  I am thinking that if they donate, then I will give them a golden ticket.  On the last day of the sale, possibly at lucnch on that day, they can redeem their golden ticket for hot chocolate.  That way, people will want to donate their clothes.  I plan to hold the drive during lunch where people can bring the clothes to me and I will keep them in a box.  Then, I will give them the ticket for the hot chocolate on the last day.

METHOD

Before The Sale

1. Do some research on the shelter and find out what their greatest needs are.  Maybe email one of the workers to find out what they are lacking.
2. Spread the word.  Make signs.  Do anything and everything to let people know that the drive is going on and encourage them to donate.
3. Find a plausible way to have the students donate their clothes.
4. Find to distribute the hot chocolate and how I will get the hot chocolate itself.

During The Sale

1. Have students bring their clothes to me at lunch time.
2. In return, they will get a golden ticket redeemable for hot chocolate.
3. On the last day of the drive make hot chocolate avalable to the students with the golden ticket.
4. At the end of the drive, get the clothes to Hospitlality House.

To start off this week and next week I am going to spread the word like crazy to make sure everyone knows about the drive.  I am also going to find out the type of clothes that Hospitality House needs.  I need to find out how I am going to get the hot chocolate and what to contain it in.  These are I things I need to do to prepare for the following weeks. I am going to try to find funding for this and if there are any better options for treats.
I am trying to get the students of AHS to donate to the clothing drive.  I am going to make sure everyone knows about the clothing drive and entice them to donate.  I will make posters and flyers and I will also use Facebook to tell people.  I am going to try to make it inviting to give and make them want to give.  That is the point of the hot chocolate, to entice people to donate.  Hopefully people will want to give.

EVALUATION

I will measure my success based on how much clothes I get.  If I get one scarf, that is not a sucessful drive.  If I get multiple scarves, coats and other clothes, though, then I will consiter my drive a success.  I will ask around and make sure that AHS students would be intrested in a clothing drive and that it is something that they would want to do.

QUALIFICATION

First thing is I want to get into contact with someone from Hospitality House, just making sure what their greatest needs are and that we fulfill those needs.

When I do my drive, I need:
1. a table set up in a clear spot in the cafeteria  
2. a large box to keep the clothes
3. hot chocolate and whipped cream to put on top
4. cups for the hot chocolate
5. a container to keep the hot chocolate

I am not sure exactly who is helping me, but I am pretty sure I will need some people to help me advertise, make signs and spread the word for the drive.  Also, I may need someone to help me collect clothes during lunch.

I am a good canditdite for this project because I care a lot about the women who are living at Hospitality House.  I like the whole program and what it does for the women.  I want to help the women in any way I can.  These women are getting a second chance at life and I want to help them get on with their lives.

TIMETABLE

The project will last one week and will go for January 17 to January 21.  At lunch everyday, I will be at a table in the cafeteria ready to  collect any clothes that people want to donate.  On the last day of the drive, January 21, I am going to have the hot chocolate for the people who have golden tickets.

Start Date: January 17 (students begin to bring clothes during lunch)
End Date: January 21 (this is the day students can redeem their  golden ticket for hot chocolate)

BUDGET

Okay, so this project should not cost to much.  All I really need are some cups for the hot chocolate and some hot chocolate and whipped  cream.  Also I will need a dispenser for the hot chocolate, but I recall seeing them around the school before.  So I am not sure if the school has any or where we can get them, but I am sure there is a way to find them.  My guess is that the cost of the items will be about $20-25.  Not really that much.  Since this is a clothing drive and people are giving and not buying, there is not much cost to it.  I may ask the ASB to fund the hot chocolate buying or I may just spend the money myself since it really isn't that much.

CONCLUSION

The Hospitality House is a wonderful amazing place that helps many women have a second chance at  life.  It is so very important that we help them in any way we can.  The women are in great need of clothes and it would be a horrible thing not to go through with the clothing drive.  Helping the women by suppling them with clothes helps them to focus more important things like on their future and their goals of making it on their own in a house instead of on the streets.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Molly,
    I put your box in the office. I have some clothes to bring to you on Monday.

    Mrs. Fitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Thank you so much!!! I actually also have some clothes to give too :)

    ReplyDelete